Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Balewind Vortex: Character Level Up

In keeping with the Highlander Eternal Champion theme it was time to get Black Vasken's Balewind Vortex painted up.  I had intended to go with an ethereal look but changed my mind as it made more sense to match the army.


Cheetor has put it best already about this fantastic terrain piece:

Off all the summoned-into-existence Arcane Fulcrums in the Storm of Magic range, the Balewind Vortex is the one that feels to me most like a video game power up.  That is one of the reasons why I like it.

Summoning a pillar of skulls with a throne on it – for example – is fun, but the general mint ice-cream whoooosh-i-ness of the Balewind Vortex is something that I can relate to more for some reason.  It looks to me more like what I think a magic spell should look like. YMMV etc.

The Vortex is pretty limited in terms of use as a terrain piece I suppose, although it is ideal for various “Stop the Ritual” types of scenario.  Plus it looks fun, in a video game power up sort of way.

I can also see it as being a spell effect that keeps an item out of reach in a video game until certain criteria are fulfilled, the vortex suspending a key or chest or other maguffin.




I'm really looking forward to using this in game!


2 comments:

  1. Looks vortexy and chaotic for sure! Cheetor’s wee write up is spot on too

    ReplyDelete