Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Tunisian Tiger Tank Support

 I've decided to focus my Fallschirmjager project to Tunisia winter 42-43.  A Sturm Pioneer Battalion fought in the North under the command of Rudy Witzig as well as 2 Battalions of regular Fallschirmjagers in the South under Walter Koch both of Eben Emael fame.  I'm loosely basing my force on the Sturm Pioneers but more on that later, this is about the tiger support.

501. Schwere Panzerabteilung began arriving in Tunisia in November 1942. They  fought on until March 1943 before being incorporated in the 504. Schwere Panzerabteilung.


The first three Tiger I E heavy tanks, from 501. Schwere Panzerabteilung, arrived November 1942. They operated near Djedeida against the British. In December the Tigers fought in the capture of Teborba.


By 9 December additional Tigers had arrived and the battalion grew.  By 1 March heavy fighting found but one operational Tiger left.

Though their ranks increased over the next two weeks, the eleven remaining Tigers of the 501st were transferred to the newly arriving 504. Schwere Panzerabteilung on 17 March 1943.

With the Allies now closing in on Tunis, six Tigers were made available for the Fifth Panzer Army and seven for the Afrikakorps. Though only four Tigers survived to 1 May, the battalion had accounted for over one hundred Allied tanks destroyed. Nine Operational Tigers were destroyed by their crews when Tunisia surrendered.

I'm basing my Tiger loosely on Tiger 121.  It was damaged by a mine in the battle of Hunt's Gap, but survived almost to the end of the Tunisian campaign.  The tank was named 'Alwin' and carried a wooden ammunition box on the right rear mudguard. I've not named my Alwin and I switched the ammo box to the left side.


I still have a few touch ups to do on it and will finish it soon.  I'm also working on some mechanical issues tables for it so it's isn't overly overpowered in games.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, and loving the history behind your model.
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete