Friday, June 2, 2017

High Elfs: My Herohammer Monopose Monstrosity

G'day mates!  Let's learn about poncy elfs and whatnot.  As I take a total 180 degree turn from chaos and focus on a goodly army.


  After reading of the exploits of Lord Teflon I had to start a high elf army for myself.  What better way to start then with some lovely blocks of 4 ed.  mono-pose spearmen and archers!




YA  MONOPOSE MINIS ARE THE BEST!!!!!, They shout. ;)


I'm going with 2 units of spearmen, 1 of archers, and a unit of reavers.  Then my general though pictured with a unicorn will be on a pegasus.
The only change was putting on the silver helms champion torso




Also they don't make enough of the horse head shields.  So I started a shield press factory.
Oh those grey stuff shields don't look the part.  That helmet says make fun of them I dare ya. LOL

Well after getting them primed and waiting for the nice herohammer green bases to dry.  I thought I would read an article on how I'm gonna paint these bad boys.



 The man himself Rick Priestley gives us a sweet run down of how he did his High Elf army.  How could I refuse to not go with a similar scheme. 

 




 






I've always liked the Rankin Bass Elf skin color from the orginal Hobbit cartoon.  I thought I would go with that as well.

Well here is the first test model.  Let me know what you think. ;)



 Stay tuned for more progress. ;)

23 comments:

  1. Looking great, even if you did remove the tabs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody cares about plastic tabs.

      Delete
    2. Exactly Sean! Dyer just has to be snarky with every comment to hide his shame from all the new hammer stuff he paints. LOL

      Delete
  2. Looking great!I have always planned to do my Dark Elves with a dark "Drow" skin tone, so to me this looks evil. I skipped reading the WD article only because I feel like I've read it before. Also reading is for Elves and Wizards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! Ya but Rankin Bass is older then RA Salvatore so doesnt that make the darker skin tone good? It's such a paradox. LOL Yus good thing you skipped reading.Wouldnt want you orcy playas getting bigger brainz. LOL

      Delete
  3. I reaf that article when it first came out. Nothing but frolicking pointy ear'd bollocks if you ask me.

    Love the skin colour choice tho.

    (Sold my High Elves yonks ago. In shame, for my elf dalliances...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such Elf hate going on here. LOL I'm secretly ashamed as well, but I'm still chaos at heart. I just need some good guys for Vasken to massacre!!!! Blud for the Blud Gawd!

      Delete
  4. Nice. I never thought about using the Rankin-Bass color. Reminds me a bit of some versions of dark-elves. Also getting away from various shades of browns & tans makes them look less like humans-with-pointy-ears (which is a nice change.)

    I've got a similar collection of HE awaiting paint. About 2:1 monopose spear & archers and some reavers. No pegasus, but I've got the old metal chariot instead. A couple months ago I *finally* found shields for the spear-elves on eBay, so they might finally get some paint in the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly Zero23, I just dont go for the pale skinned fey look. They should look diffrent then humans.

      Thats awesome next time we meet up maybe we can team up against people! Instead of us always fighting each other. LOL

      Delete
    2. Heh, now I'm wondering I should shove aside the half-orcs I just prepped and pull out the elves. Tale of Two Elf Painters or some such thing...

      Delete
  5. Good stuff! I like those old figures and I think they still stand up well today and are actually better than the current HE plastics. I commend you on the green bases and though I like the skin colour, I think it does make the face less of a focal point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warburton! I think they are as well. I got a newer command set with one of the Ebay buys and it does not hold up to these lovely mono poses.

      The green bases will look a little off on my table, but this army had to have green bases....I'm going full White Dwarf pages Hero Hammer on these guys!

      Delete
    2. I think the faces being less of a focal point are an OK thing. They are meant to be a monolithic formation of armour, spears and shields. That's part of what sets them apart from chaos, or even other "good guys" like their wood elf kin. And the faces are far from lost, based on the sample figure. The eyes stand out as almost otherworldly.

      Delete
    3. Definitely agree with you about the eyes, ZeroTwentyThree - I don't think it would work without the glowing eyes and they are very effective.

      Delete
  6. You did a great job replicating Ricks' painting tutorial! I remember reading that article too back in the day.

    Cool stuff Airborne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elves from the 4th edition are goods, I particulary love the shields. I hope you have lot of fun to paint them! Nico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with ya there Nico! And I sure will. Thanks a lot buddy. ;)

      Delete
  8. Total Respect
    It's been a long time since I started an army from scratch.Much less an army whose destiny is to be the opfor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maj.! I hope they will die a bunch for my comic reports. ;)

      Delete