Thursday, October 15, 2015

Not your Normal Orctober post

So Orctober is upon us.  I seem to have an aversion to those inclined to green skin.  I don't do it intentionally, but there it is.  I seem to keep to my chaos army and that's about it.

However I recently stumbled upon this gem, and inspiration struck.  Morglums Marauders is an excellent background to a rather interesting Orc and Goblin warband.  Reading through it we soon realize that this murderous band is held thinly together by by a strong leader.  However his command it seems could disintegrate at any moment.

I find these kinds of forces very interesting, they are obviously very Oldhammer.  They come with self imposed idiosyncrasies and a touch of eccentrics which make for a very uncontrolled fight.  These are the types of forces I seem to be drawn to.  Have a look for yourself and I will tell you how this article has inspired me.











So ya airborne wot's diz all 'bout?  Well how can I apply this brilliant Orc army to my own forces.  I have done a great job at developing fluff and background for my chaos army but I have kept it to myself.  I guess it is time to share some of the ideas behind my chaos army, and what better then to use Morglum's Marauders as a bit of inspiration...It is Orctober after all. ;)












The mighty warband of Black Vasken the Tattered Prince.  Vasken a long dead knight was accidentally resurrected instead of his dread uncle.  If that wasn't bad enough a curse was laid upon him as well.  So now dirt is constantly issuing from his armor.  It wouldn't be so much if he wasn't in such a frail state.  He has not regained all of his strength since his rebirth, however he does have a mighty strike with his lance.  Years of constant jousting tourney's have paid off even in undeath.  His deadly accuracy with his lance more then makes up for his withered form.  He sits atop Kringer a mighty steed of chaos, almost as dangerous as himself.  Now they both roam the old world at the head of a ragtag army known as the Goonies. 

Garth is Vasken's second in command.  He is an excellent subordinate, who enjoys his place and doesn't seem interested in taking over anytime soon.  Vasken uses him as a wing commander and for other side kick tasks.

Nigel the troll has become the warbands mascot over the past couple months.  He seems to be a troll of some intelligence, as he usually does the right thing about half the time.


Kannonball Kellerman's Heartbreakers.  These are Vasken's elite shock troops.  A squadron of dragoons with a might champion at their fore.  Kellerman earned his nickname by taking a direct cannonball shot from a dwarf battery.  How he managed to stay in the saddle, and at the that stay alive is anyone's guess.  Since that day none of his men have challenged his authority.  The Heartbreakers can be counted on to do whatever Vasken or Kellerman order.


Count Metalmane leads a band of warriors, they are one of Vasken's steadier units.  They will do what is asked of them and nothing more.  Metalmane has a habit of presenting the heads of those he has killed to Vasken.  He is sometimes used as the armies champion when duels need fought.


 Three Names Thunderer's is a band of chaos dwarf cavalry.  Three Names is newly promoted and eager to prove himself.  He is reckless, and the rest of the unit is impetuous.  The whole unit will charge whatever is in front of them as soon as the battle opens.


Vollrath leads a chaos dwarf warband.  They are a greedy and lazy lot, it is no help that Vollrath is a bit unhinged himself.  His head is on fire and his helm has long since fused with his skull.  He is in constant pain which does not benefit his leadership.


Mitten's murderer's are a savage band of hounds.  The are savage and untrained.  Before battle is met Vollrath's dwarfs point them towards the enemy and then unleash them.  Whether they make it to the enemy or turn on the dwarfs is anybodies guess.


So there you have it.  My army roughly based off Morglum's marauders, and a few other ideas inspired from across the internet.  I have had most of these ideas in place for sometime, I just had'nt given it much thought till I had read this article.

Now if I could just find time to get a game in...Sheesh!  I know I am spoiling for another comic report, I hope you are as well.

Until next time my faithful followers!

13 comments:

  1. Excellent find. I love pre-Black Orc Morglum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Orcboy, it doesnt get more Oldhammer October then that. ;)

      Delete
  2. I loved that article when it first came out. I used re-read it constantly. The little army is so full of character and I love the view of the orcs as squabbling little gangs of thugs. The idea that each regiment has there own little character has stuck with me ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Characters make for great stories...oh I mean battle reports LOL. ;)

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuff, I@ve never seen this article before - which White Dwarf was it from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, never read it back in the day either.

    It's a great little write up though isn't it!

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one that can be manipulated for a lot of different uses. I failed to even mention anything about the random reaction tables. I am going to give them a go as well...after chaosifying them of course.

      Delete
  5. Great article and idea. It's for WFRP I take it. I was shocked when they were talking about dishing out 3 wounds for animosity!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya Sean it is for WFRP so a little number crunching would be involved. Looks like it might be an excellent force for you in the future. ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Airborne, I can pull it off with the figures I have I think. Just need to finish a few more Boyz and the Wulfboyz.

      Delete
  6. I have that White Dwarf next to the throne. I read it often. I love your take on it. The Black Vasken and my Dark Elves must meet again!!

    ReplyDelete